Now adds the planet Mars!
Have you ever wanted to build spaceships out of blocks and fly them to other planets? If so, then you will likely find this to be a truly amazing mod! This mod is different from most of the other space themed mods in that it allows you to build spacecraft out of basically any blocks, and fly them into space- without being too difficult to use. You can also travel to the Moon or Mars with them. I plan to give any planets and moons I add to this mod a new and different style, and also a fairly large amount of features like new blocks and items, terrain generation, mobs, generated structures, and materials that can be used to craft tools, armor, and machines.
For a spacecraft to work, it must have a rocket controller block, a dimensions settings card to tell it which blocks should be considered part of it, enough engines, and enough fuel (currently gunpowder) in its fuel tanks. See the useful tips section for detailed information on how to build good spacecraft.
Despite being in the Beta stage, the latest version of this mod is not very buggy at all, but just lacks some major features that I still want to add.
This mod is based on my previous project, the "Moon Mod Renewal", which contains a bunch of textures from a very old moon mod made by sutr90. If you want to know which textures specifically, then you can look here.
Feel free to leave comments and feedback, or if you are a youtuber, to make a video about this mod!
The interior of a fairly large space station.
A massive space station that was actually filled with breathable air without creating much lag.
The crash site of a "wooden rocket" on the Moon.
Some sulfur ore next to a pool of lava.
Crafting: (Coming Soon)
*** Beta 1.2.0 July 27, 2017 ***
+ Replaced the spacecraft motion system with a new one that allows for maneuvering during flight.
- Optimized the world generation for the Moon in preparation for adding new biomes.
- Many minor improvements and bug fixes!
*** Beta 1.1.0 March 29, 2017 ***
+ A new item that places a pre-made spacecraft called the "Luna Shuttle". This can be used to see how to build your own spacecraft!
- Greatly improved the craters on the Moon.
- Spacecraft motion is now much cleaner and smoother.
- Mobs can now ride spacecraft.
- When breathable air blocks are inside a moving spacecraft, players and mobs inside the blocks are still protected from the outside vacuum.
- Countless minor improvements and bug fixes!
*** Beta 1.0.0 January 9, 2017 ***
-The initial release.
How to build a spacecraft with this mod:
- Step 1: Build a ship that has a rocket controller block, as well as some fuel tank blocks and rocket engine blocks on it. You can add fuel to fuel tanks by clicking on them with gunpowder, and check the amount of fuel in them by clicking on them while holding nothing. Fuel tanks can also be fueled by taking gunpowder from a hopper directly above them.
- Step 2: Click on the rocket controller using a dimensions settings card item and use it as it says. Then Put it in the correct slot in the rocket controller.
- Step 3: Press the launch button in the rocket controller's GUI to activate it! For a spacecraft to fly, its amount of thrust must be larger than or equal to the total number of blocks on it.
How to fly a spacecraft with this mod:
- Launching: Once you have built and loaded your spacecraft with fuel. Open the rocket controllers GUI and press the launch button to launch.
- Travelling: When you are in orbit around Earth, you can press "travel" to go to orbit around the Moon, or to go back to orbit around Earth if you are already orbiting the Moon. A "space travel card" item to select your destination will be added when Mars is added...
- Landing: When you are in orbit around any planet, you can press "land" to land. While you are landing, you have to press the space bar to fire your spacecraft's engines to slow down. You can also use the "WASD" keys to move forwards, backwards, left, and right, or the left and right arrow keys to rotate while in flight.
-Gunpowder can now be crafted with charcoal and a new material, sulfur. Sulfur ore can be found very close to pools of lava.
-One gunpowder item will provide 20 units of fuel when put in a fuel tank.
-When full, fuel tanks will try to transfer their fuel to any other fuel tanks below or beside them.
-Fuels tanks can also take gunpowder from hoppers right above them.
-One Mk1 Rocket Engine provides 30 units of thrust, and consumes 0.2 units of fuel per tick. Be careful with how much fuel your spacecraft has, as it can run out mid-flight!
-For a rocket to fly, its total number of units of thrust must be greater than its total number of blocks.
-When you are in a zero gravity environment, you can go up and down by looking up or down while colliding with blocks or by using an EVA pack.
-You can fuel an EVA pack by pressing shift while wearing it and holding gunpowder. Yes, gunpowder is currently the main source of fuel for the things in this mod. I will probably add a better kind of fuel sometime soon, although it may still contain gunpowder...
-To use a pressure creator, it must be in a closed space of some kind, you must load it with a filled air tank or place an air generator adjacent to it, and then activate it with a redstone signal.
-Due to how difficult and time consuming it is to obtain large amounts of iron or aluminum on survival mode, do not hesitate to build the structural part of your spacecraft out of something like wood, cobble stone, or hardened clay!
Upcoming Features (Outdated):
Planned for the next update: (This update (1.2.0) has already been released.)
-Minecraft 1.11.2 compatibility.
-The ability to maneuver spacecraft while landing.
-Some sort of HUD while riding a spacecraft that displays the current velocity, altitude, amount of fuel, etc... -Possibly a simple mini-map in the HUD, for finding a good spot to land without going into F5 mode (this could easily be done with a map item from vanilla Minecraft though). -Survival mode affordable metallic structural blocks of some kind. -A new space suit texture. -Mk2 spacecraft functional blocks. -Maybe a large generated structure on the Moon where I could put a boss mob.
Not likely to be added in the next update, but probably in later updates sometime soon:
-Some sort of astronomy mechanic, for setting a new item called space travel cards.
-More advanced spacecraft functional blocks, like mechanisms for automatic flights.
-An "interplanetary" transition dimension, where you can see the planet you are leaving getting smaller, and the planet you are travelling to getting larger.
-The planet Mars, and a lot of new content for it.
-Possibly the planets Venus and Mercury, and more content for them too.
Will probably not be added very soon, but are still planned and will hopefully be added:
-Jupiter and its four largest moons (Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto).
-Saturn and some of its larger moons (certainly Titan).
-Saturn's orbit dimension will have a zone filled with some clusters of blocks and many loose blocks to represent its rings.
-The asteroid belt.
-Uranus, Neptune, and their larger moons.
-Pluto and Charon.
-Some other dwarf planets.
Could be added, but are not a very high priority:
-"Space age" NPCs.
-UFO spacecraft that could rarely land on a random planet, and then leave after a while.
-A bunch of exoplanets (probably made up ones).
-If exoplanets are added, then some sort of warp drive thing for spacecraft.
-Some smaller moons of the gas giant planets.