1. If you get 5, why doesn't the original OP say that?
2. Some of us don't have the time to go through and find each rail that broke in our huge contraptions.
3. I am keeping my status at 'No Support', because the current rail system is fine, and because you are replacing a well known function of rails. Also, using nether quartz is a bad idea because it is limited, and hard to get.
1. It does. You didn't read carefully.
2. I didn't say replace each individual rail, I said use MCEdit. You can easily filter the rails into the corner rails.
3. Yes, it's fine, and serves it's purpose, but I feel it can easily be improved upon. Also, the Debated Topic isn't a reason to not support the idea. It isn't part of the actual suggestion, it's meant to keep discussion productive and lively. You would know that if you read the entire suggestion, which you didn't. Nether Quartz is extremely common. Especially considering by the time you have full access to it, you have an enchantment to increase Nether Quartz output. Even if you don't, you still get lots of nether quartz.