1. It's not outdated. It's still being updated. It's merely that, because it's the coder's life's masterpiece, it'll be at least 20 more years before it's out of alpha, but it'll also be awesomer than the games they'll have in that time and age.
2. The graphics are bad because:
2a. The author was making a 3D game but found that graphics detracted too much from making the actual game.
2b. The game already tends to be laggy, it would only be worse with actual graphics.
3. How is King Arthurs Gold a mixture of DF? You've never played DF, have you?
Quote from EnCminecraft
This is the Minecraft forum, a very casual game.
1. It depends on the context. Some people spend lots of time on their creations.
2. Minecraft is an indie game with no in-game tutorial, no simple way to get any info other than research, and no advertising other than word of mouth. It used to be a lot more hardcore.
Quote from CSieg
Someday...they'll update the interface to this game and I'll finally be able to play it. The convoluted keyboard controls are just too much for me to get into it right now.
1. You'll get it after a while.
2. Loosing is fun. That's actually the official motto to the game.
3. They won't update the interface. The author stated that he like doing whatever he wants to do. You should stick to texture packs for now.