Hi! So yesterday I finished building my creeper farm in survival mode because of my need for gunpowder. Here's the link to the farm I built (which I believe works for 1.16 and up):
This leads me to my problem: upon finishing the build I noticed it was not spawning creepers, or any spiders. Seriously, I have not seen a single mob come out of that thing, nor received any items in my chests. Here's a list of the solutions I have tried:
1. Immediately after building I lit up the entire area with torches. I especially made sure to light up the caves within a close radius. I then checked the light level under each of the layers and it was about 0-4 for all of them. So, everything should be working fine, right?
2. I decided to then AFK for 45 minutes using the instructions in the video to build myself an AFK spot in the sky.
3. When I came back to find absolutely nothing in my chests, I wondered if it was an error with the farm. One of my suspicions was that the repeater clock didn't give enough time for monsters to spawn, placing the water too frequently. So, I removed the buckets entirely, and still absolutely nothing over the course of two Minecraft days and nights.
4. While researching, I thought that it could possibly be the trapdoors I used. So, I removed the trapdoors on one of the layers, waited around, and nothing again.
5. When I realized that it could be the mob cap, I uploaded it to my server, changed it to 200, and all it did was increase the amount of monsters outside the farm. Yikes. Still not a single entity.
Here are some screenshots:
If you've experienced the same issue and found an actually viable solution, please let me know. This is actually a huge pain and I'm dying to get this to work so I don't have to deconstruct the entire thing. I just find it super odd that it hasn't spawned a single mob which leads me to think there is something inherently wrong with this design. Thanks so much for reading this!
P.S. I messed with it in creative mode on a backup, placing torches absolutely everywhere and this changed nothing.
My discord: Luke#3013 if you have any further inquiries.
After assessing the amount of caves I still had to light up in the area, I just decided to completely remove it because it wouldn't be worth all that work. I built a new one over an ocean biome near my house, and it works perfectly fine now! So turns out it was the location (silly me), I now have more gunpowder than I will ever need.
At 8:15 in the tutorial video they tell you to build your AFK spot 123 blocks above ground level, that way you don't have to worry about caves (since they'll be more than 128 blocks away) all you have to do is light up the ground.
If you want an XP grinder it's easiest to build the whole thing 128 blocks above ground.
The only time you need to light up caves is when you want to be able to go about your normal business while it runs or if you want to spawn slimes or something, since they don't spawn that high up.