I made one of these just over a year ago, but the thread is highly outdated and has some missing items I would of liked to add without necroposting. Here are the original 40 things to do in SMP along with 100+ more!
JUST LIKE I SAID BEFORE:
"Before I start this list, I want to recommend, to never look at tutorials on building projects. It will come back to you someday and you will get super bored because you can't create things using your mind. Thats why your reading this now."
Also, my bad if I accidentally repeat something, it's been a while since I've seen these items and I might duplicate a few.
1. Prank your friend by changing their floor to glass / dirt. (Lava if nothing is flammable!)
2. Plant trees on top of someones roof continuously (Creating a never ending tree) and then tell your friend there is a present on top. (Actually put something there, reward them.) xD
3. Built yourself a castle, with a castle wall around it! (Maybe even do it near a village)
4. Practice your bow shots from a 50-75 block far target (Which MAY be a friend)
5. Build a room for everything you own (ex. armor stands with your best armor, enchanting room, Library, etc)
6. Declare that you own a village, and help it grow!
7. Fill someones house with water and tell them the rain got in.
8. Eat only veggies for a full 6 days in minecraft!
9. Create a dog pack!
10. Find a Jungle, they got super rare nowadays!
11. Get some more people on the server!
12. Make a town where a bunch of people live, with shops, etc.
13. Get a bunch of dyes and change the color of leather armor!
14. Mob farms!
15. Look for a temple!
16. Make a secret prophecy to all the players.
17. Wear your favorite sport team colors when dying leather armor!
18. Enchant a sword to max enchants, and then give it to your friend when its at 1 durability.
19. Create a PVP arena, and have a huge pvp tournament!
20. Collect every bock and have a room with them on an item frame.
21. Create an insane modern house / skyscraper.
22. Idk if this works, but try Chicken Volleyball.
23. The classic; Abba caving!
24. If you're REALLY bored, play Connect 4!
25. Create a secret tunnel to everyones house! Can also be used for hiding in a battle (Kingdoms plugin)
26. Be festive! Create a christmas tree, have a turkey inside your house, etc.
28. Trick your friends into thinking you created a working hard drive in minecraft.
29. Cover someones house with Obsidian, and expect to get pranked back hard.
30. Make someones house seem like a jungle and grow a bunch of trees there.
31. Make a huge tunnel and tell your friend there is something at the end. Make the tunnel a few hundred blocks at least.
32. Make your friends look underwater for a chest with nothing in it.
33. Put a random piece of tnt on someones house with a chest that has a flint and steel.
34. Make a duplicate of someones house and blow it up once they see it.
35. Create the biggest cactus farm ever.
36. Do the same with Sugarcane.
37. Build a maze, why not!
38. Do races with Elytras!
39. Get a scoreboard going and see who can get the most kills in an FFA matchup using your creations to your advantage. (Like SG without chests)
40. Using wool, make it look like there was a fire in someones house, and the smoke (gray wool) is coming out of the house. Cause why not.
41. Build a city; why not!
42. Build a railway system to make travelling faster.
49. Make a graveyard for all your dead pets / or even players for the memories!
50. Underwater city!
51. Make up a minigame / simple game that may or may not require redstone.
52. Go even farther with #51 and create a LEAGUE!
53. Create a legit underwater tunnel. Like again, Rendog did. (Should totally watch him btw)
54. Create a completely dirt house, and using a silk touch shovel to collect grass, make the roof / ground 100% grass. It's actually pretty cool.
55. Do the same thing with #54 except if you have a city, make a modern eco building.
56. Create a swimming pool, why not!
57. Or maybe even a boat racing course, because again, why not!
58. Raid an Ocean monument. This will keep you busy because you need maxed respiration helmets, depth strider boots, a good sword / bow, and some golden apples / potions.
59. For the lols, name every lake / ocean / town!
60. Turn the land into an ice age! Everyone will take notice quickly.
61. Create a zoo for every animal. (Even better with mo' creatures mod)
62. Make a volcano with lava coming out. Not very original, but still a fun challenge!
63. Install the Kingdoms plugin and control your own kingdom. WARNING, might get hectic.
64. Create a water bucket clutch diving area. (Water bucket clutching is jumping off 100-200 blocks and trying to drop water to break your fall in time.
65. Or just create a legit diving pool into a 1-2 block water hole.
66. You can always go insane and just create the actual dropper map inside your world somewhere.
67. Organize your chests. Probably messy right now.
68. Get every enchant in the game, then get a plugin that allows extended enchants. Try to get those enchants.
69. Make the game harder and install a plugin that makes mobs harder to kill.
70. Build a massive tree that's hollow, w/ staircase inside to the top. Or even better; use this design in your house and
create entrances throughout the tree.
71. Hide sheep from someones sheep pen underground.
72. Do same thing with their pets.
73. Before PVPing, (If you have an arena and regularly pvp for the hell of it) drink a strength pot. Done.
74. If someone HATES a sport team, create that team as a pixel art in front of their house.
75. Drink Fire res, then play hide and seek inside a lava pool. (10x10 to 20x20) Or make a tunnel system with 100%
lava, and play hide and seek.
76. Cover someones base w/ glowstone.
77. Like #37, build a maze, but with lava instead. Use depth strider in lava (If it works?)
78. Build the dropper!
79. Hoe every block near someones home / spawn.
80. take blocks from their house, and suggest it was probably an enderman.
81. If their floor is wool, change it to another color; like pink!
82. Basketball reference; If anyone is a sports fanatic, get them a pixel art kevin durant jersey being burned. Reaction would be priceless!
83. Make a UHC tournament!
84. Host an Elyta competition!
85. Get some firework rockets at the highest flight length (3) and explore the world.
86. Or for #85, you could also make a shop for them, definitely would be a success!
87. Build a witch hut in front of someones house.
88. Make a glass dome!
89. Build a wall.
90. Make two airships in the sky and have a war with some players on each side!
91. Make an actual ship.
92. Have an all out purge war, and if your group of friends aren't too sensitive, include 1 block of TNT per player. (1 TNT doesn't do that much damage, it can be rebuilt)
93. Get all the mob heads in the game or /skull (player) if the server has it, and make a room with all of them.
94. Create a second pvp arena, and perhaps bigger.
95. Make a colorful shield.
96. Or create two empires of players, and they both have their kingdoms flag design on the shield. o.o
97. level out an area (preferably a forest) and make it a minigame area, which may be simple, or may use few command blocks. But at the end of the day, it would be worth it. Use your imagination.
98. Make a public enchanting room for everyone, preferably made of Stone Bricks and Stained Glass, or you could use a cool Wood design with Stained Glass.
99. Scrap #91. Make a BATTLESHIP. Or better yet; Titanic.
100. Make a building listing 100 things to do in SMP, just make sure to credit me since I've spent hours thinking of random things to put on this list.
101. Make an annoying clicking machine, I still don't know how people do it. Isn't it a broken circuit or something?
102. Redstone Coaster.
103. House of the Diamond Ore. Because why not bro.
104. Museum for all your goods or historic items from the SMP.
105. Build an amusement park. I have a feeling I said this already but I'm too lazy to check again.
106. Make your own SG Arena. Don't build SG4 though, unless you really into your builds.
108. Make a Jungle themed house.
109. Tame a Parrot. Tame all the Parrots. Become the Birdman.
110. Try to have the server death record. It's definitely an achievement.
111. Rebuild famous landmarks in game.
112. House of Worship. Church, Cathedral, Al-Aqsa Pantheon, Mosque, etc.
113. Hoe every grass block at spawn. Actually probably shouldn't..
114. Turn someone's house into Glass.
115. Turn someone's house into glowstone.
116. Host a party at someone's house. Why not?
117. ^^^ Or at the local club.
118. Create the deepest Swimming Pool in existence.
119. Or create an underground swimming course. Not sure how to explain it but like the ones in Mario 64.
120. Build a mega hotel.
121. Make a dynmap for your SMP world. This is useful for seeing your group's progress and deciding on what to do next and where. This should probably be number one actually.
122. Basketball arena. Not the same as a basketball court. This should take some time to build.
123. Put some street lights if you haven't already.
124. Speaking of streets, your streets or roads should have a cool design.
125. Build an underground railroad... No I mean literally.
126. Build a Castle. Then burn it.
127. Build a multi-purpose house of worship. You can do this with other buildings as well.
128. Actually even better, build a mega Mall, with Subway, Starbucks, but especially 31 Flavors.
129. Make the mall spaces rentable for a price.
130. At this point you should just make this an SMP with 100 people rather than 20. It just seems less, dead.
131. Run 20K blocks from spawn. It's worth it.
132. Beat the enderdragon with the whole smp server. Preferably use wooden swords and enchantless bows.
133. Make a special temple for the Dragon Egg.
134. Make an enchanting race event where you and some others attempt to get the best enchants in an amount of time, with different ones being worth different amount.
135. Hide someone's items a few thousand blocks away and give them the coords.
136. Craft cookies and give them out for Valentines Day.
137. Make a Valentines themed Build.
138. Big Christmas tree at spawn.
139. Make a statue.
140. Burn part of spawn and then have a group effort to put it out and fix it up. Good for when there is an ugly build on the block.
141. If you are making a new SMP and not following along, use an Earth map to play on, those are fun. (Settle in Africa)
142. Make an artificial (but natural looking) sink hole.
143. Make a huge quartz building.
144. Make a build/town/village with only organic blocks (wood, fences, vines, cobblestone, leaves, etc.)
ALSO: It was previously a meme where I said "Why Not," 6 times on here. Count how many times I say it now and post it below.