I recently made this and I figured it would be useful enough to post for everyone to see
The Newbie's (or clueless person's) Guide to City Building (and basic SMPing)
(For purposes of this guide I'm assuming you know the basic first day strategies)
I've found this is the best order to build in
1. Mine (In search of some diamonds) - This is absolutely essential build a good mine first because it can provide shelter, coal, metal
and lots of cobble stone. Have everyone on the server regardless of role help with this. Once you have a
chest or two full of Cobblestone and many, many torches move on to part two. Make sure everyone has their own bed to help with long nights
2. Walls (that's a nice life you have there....) - The second most important thing. Have the stupidest er uh "bravest" person go out in search of sand and cactus. The rest of the people should be building the wall. Remember this is your first and best line of defense, make it strong. Suggested dimensions 7-8 blocks tall, 3 blocks thick, make sure to dig a a one block deep trench one block out from the base of your wall and don't forget to add a one block out cropping 5 blocks up to stop spiders.
It should look like this: (Will possibly replace with real pictures at a later date Has been replaced by a real picture, Thanks Leiger!)
After the person with the cactus and sand returns fill the moat with sand so that you can plant cactus on top of it, this should keep mobs away from the walls. Note: there probably won't be enough cactus to completely surround the wall but cactus grows so make sure to harvest it. While building the wall make sure to have someone continue stone mining.
3. City planning (and why it's a good thing) - Make sure you have a plan in mind when you build houses because nothing is more frustrating then having to make oddly shaped roads. I'd recommend building the city around a central structure (possibly a tower or fortress) which contains the main mine. This shouldn't take too long just make sure people mark off the areas they want before continuing.
4. Houses (Your real home's in your chest) - Now comes the fun part, just have everyone build their houses and shops, I prefer to have the houses closer to the town center then put the shops out towards the edges but that's just me.
5. Utilities - Roads are pretty useful and help to give the city a more realistic feel. Also make sure to keep the entire area inside the walls lit up, you wouldn't want creepers ruining your bakery. This would also be a good time to set up a tree, wheat and reed farm.
6. Griefers (and you) - Yes Griefers, unfortunately with any online game you will find stupid hate-filled individuals who would rather be @$$holes then have fun and if you aren't careful they'll burn your homes or steal your cake. Are they annoying? Hell yes, but you'll have to figure out how to deal with them sooner or later. The two most effective ways to stop (or at least minimize) griefer damage are as follows (along with one ineffective way):
1. The easiest - A whitelist, make people fill out an application or at least give you a little information about themselves, if they are too lazy to do that then you probably don't need them on your server. The downside is you have to constantly check to see if anyone sent in an application.
2. the smartest - Plugins, bukkit essentials, Lwc and worldguard can almost single handedly keep a server from falling apart, this allows you to get a variety of people but can be a huge problem around update time.
3. The laziest - Don't do anything, Just try to keep from clumping wood houses together and hide your chests
[>>-i>] 7. (So you want to have a) War - Many of the things that work against mobs are much less effective against humans so you must have a completely different strategy in mind if you are attacked. Lava is the enemy of your enemy... so make use of it, A single person with a few buckets of lava and a sword can stop an attack by four or five people. But what if someone digs through your wall? Glad you asked...
   
  
  
  
  
  
Simply hollowing out your wall than adding some lava source blocks to the top can give any invaders a really bad day
Dispensers hooked up to a repeating circuit by a switch or pressure plate can also kill unaware attackers.
[Diagrams to come later]
Minecarts: A musical guide*
Redstone: Better then Angel Dust
Personally, I prefer to have shops towards the center, or "town square" (usually decorated with aesthetics like a fountain) to make it the place which is always busy with people scurrying around, it just feels more like home.
Intruders dig into the wall, see a "self repairing" sand or gravel wall, and dig through. Then, of course, the lava will pour down as they dig the sand and before you know it, they're toast. Here is a cutaway from the top:
The lava will flow through the empty spaces on top of sand, which will still pour down if the sand underneath is broken.
Making the wall taller will do several good things:
1. The sand will take longer to dig through
2. Having it tall enough will withstand several TNT blasts
3. Less chances of enemies pillaring over the walls
Making it thicker, like so:
Will protect even better.
1. Takes a ton of time to dig through
2. Withstands even MORE Tnt
3. Tunneling under has a less chance of success if they don't know how thick the wall is, they might dug under the sand and suffocate.
Making walls thicker and taller is an amazingly great way to keep thieves out for good!
<-----Roof of your choice.
   <-----Fences
   <-----Walkway
<-----Glass for a below-floor glow via lava.
   <-----Lava kills Spiders.
<-----Netherrack for perma-fire.
  <-----Walkway to reload sand/gravel from.
<-----Lava flows when sand is removed. Glass for light.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
The Sun rises in the North!
Now these points of data make a beautiful line...
I just noticed a flaw in the OP wall... Lava sources at the top would pour lava down in non-source blocks, and non-source blocks don't spread horizontally unless there's a block under them. Place a source block here:
This leaves a walkway above, and 80% of the time intruders dig the block at head level first. Either way, the lava will pour out on them. The only way to avoid it would be to either
A. Dig under
B. Pillar up 3 blocks then dig into the passageway
C. Pillar over completely
D. Have fast reflexes and block the source with a block
Thx for the guide my friend just started an smp and we did not know how to make a town that will run well but i will not have any problems with griefers because the server is on aternos and there are white lists and black lists on there