Tipped arrows are such a useful addition, however they are nearly impossible to obtain on Java since they are exclusive to post-enderdragon gameplay and because of this I have not seen a single person ever use tipped arrows on any SMP I've been on.
I don't think they're supposed to be particularly easy to obtain. I'm not against there being a different method to obtaining them, but I don't think it's supposed to be an easy process, particularly considering how some arrows (i.e. Poison, Decay, Slowness, etc) can be very powerful or griefy in PvP.
Personally, the thing I would really like to see is Spectral Arrows come to BE. While I understand that the BE-JE split in features is intentional, it's one item that I'd prefer to be shared.
Personally, I agree they could be more common, but then we have to find a new use for dragon breath.
For now, here's a plan, step by step:
1. Find a village
2. Make sure it is well defended (golems, walls all-round, proper lighting of the area etc.)
3. Make a lot of fletching tables
4. Get a truckload of emeralds
5. Get several high-level fletchers (place tables well, they need them to refill arrows and moving them makes their careers re-set)
6. Preferably name-tag those with actually harmful tipped arrows