If you want to get to a professional level of modding, you could like kind of start a mod based on that.
I mean, a mod where you spawn in the nether, not the overworld.
And you need to make your way to the overworld or something.
Its quite an easy training once you got the complicated parts done, I mean, for example;
- make a few new nether mobs to gain experience around mobs
- make a nether tree
- make nether ores
- add new nether structures to the generator
- nether sub-biomes?
- toolsets made from nether stuff
- nether armor? (quartz for example)
- nether crops that grow on soulsand
- possibly a nether internal potion brewing system with a nether brewing stand (idea for this: normal brewing stands use blazerods, which are from the nether. you could make nether brewing stands use bones, which are mainly from the overworld, but can be acquired in the nether, too. would fit into the system)
and so on. You can start over simple, and evolve your mod over time.
And it will sure be used because theres not actually that many mods that add in nether content.
And I dont think I have ever seen a mod where you spawn in a dimension instead of the overworld.
Its important that you dont set your goal too high. Start small, and work your way up. Otherwise you'll be sitting there with a giant project and have no idea where to start... and lose motivation quite fast.
I would also like to suggest adding netherrack furnace to that list since we will want/need a way to smelt/cook things in the nether. Great idea though and I look forward to seeing it once its completed.