ok after testing it here is my result:
i'll start with bad things:
1.the color is too bright make it same as here or little darker
2.how i can find "find content" in my profile?
3.icons are ... AWFUL i mean buckets and lava buckets for hot topics was amazing and Awesome avd very attractive
4.the is so tiny space? i mean you just like gett everything in 1x1 place and still puting more make more space in my opinion
now to the good things:
1.AW MAY GAWD ITS SW FAWST : its much much better than old one in opening i mean its like x3 faster than befoe
2.DNSLFJBLJ FWSTR NVGIT: YEP the navigation is now much much better and easier and FASTER than before
3,Awesome other features
4.OMFG IT SHOWS WHO IS THERE: yeah you can now see who is in a speacied forum like (2 views) (means 2 people viewing the post)
5.Lovely and keep the core of it
6.the editor is much better i loved it
7. its just awesome
So yeah i really hope you fix the bad things and keep (or upgrade and making better) the new good things
(THIS is just MY opinion so dont judge me)
so its like 65% better and 35% worst
and the best thing i loved it its that its much much faster than before so yeh
First impressions: Sleek and smooth. very easy to navigate. From my browsings does not have many of the issues this forum gives me, especially when trying to view my profile or enter a thread (this one is notorious for logging me out). I do not however particularly approve of the art style. It looks like a rip off of one of enjin's minecraft skins and in a sense is not as professional. Other than that its fine.
Looks amazing. I haven't completely tested it out and for now will keep with the original layout but for the few minutes I was on the beta layout, it looked a whole lot more clean. I think this is actually a very good desicion for the Minecraft Forums.
A separate dark theme is very unlikely to happen because we want to avoid multiple themes, however reducing the brightness of the main theme is already on the list of things to deal with and has been since yesterday when you and others raised concerns. I certainly wasn't telling people that we're not willing to improve the theme, just that we want to avoid multiple themes, sorry if that wasn't clear!
Websites that offer the choice of a dark theme get my respect because it is not only a preference issue but an accessibility one. I and many other people around the world physically can not use any interface that is brightly lit without some serious squinting and headaches. I need dark high contrast to be able to do anything on a computer, basically. Of course I use the OS dark theme to forcibly turn everything dark (including all websites) (excluding Chrome whose idea of accessibility is to kill disabled people) but whenever a stylish dark theme is available I always choose that instead of the butt-ugly generic one rendered by the browser or OS.
It is disappointing that you are not willing to offer the option of an alternate theme, stating only the reason "because we want to avoid multiple themes". What is so difficult or time-consuming about adding a theme selector to user profiles and mock up a quick css or template with slightly different icons and new colour values?
It could be that it is just in beta but I feel it is more restricted particularly in the Servers section of the site. I was browsing the server section of the New forums and coming from a Server admin who is developing a server still in beta for 2 years, this new forum removes a lot of capabilities that server posts have currently on these forums.
1) you guys removed Unicode and Alt code support... that really removes the capability for people to get creative with their topic titles and posts.
2)I could just be missing it but I couldn't find a way that you can even post images or videos on topics in the server category. There have been some great discussion topics on the old forum all because players had the freedom to 'customize' each post with active links to images and media content. removing these capabilities may make it clean but people don't come to a forum for being "clean": they come to a forum for the community. removing community freedoms that drive discussions will kill the forum community.
3) The server section seems much less personal and feels more like a blog post where you aren't part of a discussion but simply you are there to post replies to the blog post. And when you reply to someone else' reply, it doesn't even say that you replied to anyone in your actual post. It just shows up at the bottom and because it's out of context, it makes you look silly. I Like to have a more personal connection with my players so that I can communicate that their ideas and concerns are a #1 priority. I really hate this disconnect everyone has adapted between server admins and the players and I feel the server section of the forum encourages that ideal even more. Planet Minecraft does something like this too. But there is a reason why our server forums have more activity than Planet Minecraft.
4) Maybe this is just because the forum is still in beta but I think you guys should keep avatars and signatures even in the server section. This is not a professional forum for business discussion. This is supposed to be a casual forum where server fans have the freedom to talk about the things they love and express themselves in their posts. Most of your audience are kids. Removing things like signature use (image signature use) can be a bad thing.
Synopsis: In the server section of the site:
• Bring back alt code and Unicode use • Do not remove Image and media embed compatibility. These are essential elements to a successful forum. Removing them will kill this forum community. • Don't sacrifice freedom for a more clean looking forum. Stay far away from the blog design; keep the forums personal where the community can express themselves.
• Where are the avatars and signatures?
What is so difficult or time-consuming about adding a theme selector to user profiles and mock up a quick css or template with slightly different icons and new colour values?
I even pointed them at a forum with a nice, standard, dark theme, so they wouldn't have to strain the creativity that gave us hideous cube-icons - no luck.
This wasn't the only topic where I saw a response that reads a lot like "it's your responsibility to make our 'forum' tolerable by adding third-party mods." Well, thank you for telling me that I should have an ad-blocker running so that you at least don't get paid for me to look at this mess, but I don't feel like installing additional layers of software on my PC because you're too lazy to provide what is considered so basic that it's on freeware forums.
Having seen plenty of attempted discussions on the beta end with "ain't nobody got time for that - LOCKED", I'm done with the new forums before they're truly launched. It makes you wonder if the 'new and improved' is improved for them instead of their users. Faults that might be excused here by the age of the forum are glaring laziness on a new forum. Maybe we should marvel at the foolishness of reinventing the wheel when there's so many versions of forum software out there which already outperform what is being presented. Or perhaps we should wonder why they're putting up a joke instead of simply redirecting to reddit - where members of this community can sometimes be admitting you should go if you actually want somebody working on the game to maybe notice you.
That's probably giving them too much credit, though. It's more likely that the site is just bad, and that they've decided they don't need to make it good because you can download further programs and make it better yourself. The way it comes across, they're working on the assumption that everybody re-skins and selectively blocks elements of their forum anyways, so they should just throw everything out there with a half-baked theme and make you do all the filtering on your end. It's simply convenient that said assumption also means they can put less work into their forum.
The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
No comment on the look of the new forum, I'll let you guys fight over that yourselves.
However, it seems that external links (e.g. to Dropbox) are not working. If I post a link to another topic inside the forum, it works fine, but if I post an external one, it simply points to the page that it's embedded in. Is this on purpose, or a bug?
Okay, I have this problem on this forum, and I wonder if it will be fixed in the next forum. Sometimes when I press backspace while typing, It goes all the way to the beginning of the line. It really gets annoying while typing, as it can erase a lot of what I just wrote.