Good suggestion, DuesKon! I always build near the spawn point and take a compass when I go exploring, cause no matter what direction or how far I go, I can always find my way home. It's like a Garmin vs a map. Besides, with a render distance like that, who needs a map?
There's several things people don't "get" about the Win10 version:
* It's beta. Incomplete and buggy. Not ready for release. (Still, a whole lot better than "alpha".) Features have (and will continue to be) added. Patience is the key here. Will it ever have all the features everybody wants? Of course not.
* Just because it runs on your (Win10) PC does not mean it will ever have all the features of PC MC. In fact, it can't. This version is designed to run on all Wiin10 devices.... including phones and tablets. This is not a rewrite of PC MC(!) so it will never have all the features of the PC version, so it's a waste of time to ask for them.
* The PC MC and Win10 MC are completely different (different languages, platforms, etc.) so you'll never be able to "share maps", have "mods" (since MS controls Win10), have "cross-play" between the two, be able to hook to the PC MC servers, etc.. Play the version with the features you want. In fact, don't forget that all the versions are not only different, but incompatible with each other. No one version can have everything for everybody.
On the flip side, there's several good things about the Win10 version:
- It's really smooth, with very little lag. No need for Optifine with this one!
- It's free(!) if you already own PC MC. You like "free", don't you?
- I think (I don't know without a phone) all you both need is a Live account and any Win10 device (phone, tablet, PC) and you can play with any other Win10 device.
- You don't get or play the Win10 version for what it is now, but for what it will become in the future. (Sorta like Steam's "Early Access" games). Of course it's missing some essential things... now. But they'll be added.
- I'm just speculating here, but I would not be surprised if the Win10 version ends up having it's own exclusive features. The iOS and android people may end up being jealous.