As incomplete as 1.8 may be, we can still have some fun with its new features. I present to you my mixture adventure/survival idea (true to Minecraft in every way I think!) called
Here's how you play. You must create a new world, and one where you are starting in an ocean biome. It only requires that if you place the game on far render distance, you cannot see land or a large island from the island you are on. If this is true of your spawn point, you're ready to begin!
The ocean adventure arose as an idea from seeing the ocean biome and trying to find land (whether a large island with real biomes or just mainland itself.) Beware, adventurer! There is no guarantee that such lands will be easy to find! But don't forget the explorer's mantra about survival:
"I'm on a boat. Your argument is invalid."
And there's one rule and one rule only (other than the list of rules to follow.) You cannot die or your forfeit that map! You don't have to delete it, but your adventure is over.
With that said, let us introduce (my current) phases of the adventure!
1. Find civilization!
Wat do: To complete this phase, you must find civilization and acquire food and fuel and shelter. Seems simple enough? Here's what you need to do and get to complete the first leg:
- Find a village
- Build a house there - it must not be made of dirt, sand, gravel or clay blocks. Planks or better! (logs are fine too.) The floor can be dirt if you want. This house must be big enough to house a bed, a work bench, two furnaces and two chests. It must have a door (can be a trapdoor!) and a window (glass panes only.)
- Acquire a quarter-stack of some kind of food. For unprepared foods, a half stack. This includes melon slices (which are unprepared foods.) Bread, Cooked fish, cooked porkchop, steak, cooked chicken, etc. The general rule is if it gives 2.5 hunger points or more its 'prepared' (haw haw.)
- Acquire ONE reliable food source. This can be a field with 42 plots and fence around it (the size of village fields indeed) plus a hoe of any kind, a fishing rod, at least 20 captured chickens and 16 eggs to spare, or a melon farm with at least 14 fully grown vines. A mushroom farm with 20 of each mushroom counts, though it's harder to acquire, generally. For farms you should have 12 spare seeds.
- A tree farm with at least 12 trees; any configuration will do. Tree type is immaterial.
- A reed farm with at least 8 reed plants.
- A whole stack of fuel (coal + charcoal together)
- A whole stack of torches.
- A whole stack of cobblestone.
- A whole stack of logs, 64 of any type combined.
- A wooden sword or better,
- A wooden shovel or better,
- A wooden pick or better,
- A wooden ax or better.
2. Find hardware.
Wat do: To complete this, you must equip yourself for treasure hunting! An abandoned mineshaft is a quick way to get what you need.
- Find an abandoned mineshaft (you may have already done this, but maybe not!)
- Find a ravine.
- Upgrade your house to be made of cobblestone or better (bricks count, also if you wish, other combinations like wool+logs, etc are fine as well) and to be able to store 4 furnaces, 8 chests and to have a water pool (2 by 2 unlimited well) next to it and at least 3 windows.
- Get a bucket.
- Replace your bed with silk, if you haven't already.
- Get a second reliable source of food, as noted above. Doubling your field size / coop size doesn't count, adventurer! And no 'double fishing rods'! You can only use one at a time.
- Get flint and steel.
- Get shears.
- Get at least stone equipment for all (hoe if you have a farm, sword, ax, pick, shovel)
- Get a bow and arrows.
- Acquire a full stack of iron!
- Find at least one treasure chest in the mine.
- Find at least 1/2 stack of string.
- Get at least a leather tunic and boots.
3. Find treasure
Wat do: You need to find something rare and worthwhile. What else are you out here for!
- Upgrade your tools to iron for adventuring, except for your shovel and hoe.
- Acquire a stack of redstone.
- Acquire 8 or more diamonds.
- Acquire 16 or more gold.
- Acquire a watch.
- Acquire a compass.
- Make a map of the area around your town.
- Locate a subterranean lava pool.
- Acquire a Third source of food!
- Acquire at least 10 of each basic dye (red, green, blue, yellow, black, white.)
- Make a colorful rug for your house.
- Upgrade your house to be able to fit 16 chests (8 large chests) 6 furnaces, two workbenches and at least 6 windows! It must have more than one floor and should be enclosed by a fence and lit (or have its roof made of half blocks /steps) so mobs cannot get near it.
- ***** about the void fog.
- Touch bedrock.
- Either acquire 5 pumpkins, 5 tnt, 5 ender pearls or a saddle.
- Acquire 16 snowballs (OK, JUST KIDDING.)
- Make an iron chestplate and boots, and at least a leather cap and pants.
- Have at least a stack of arrows at your disposal.
Well... where should we go next? TO A STRONGHOLD? I haven't found one yet so I can't really say.